Church Doctrine & Tenants

Church Beliefs
  • The Bible is the eternal, inerrant and unchanging Word of God, absolute truth for all generations and all peoples (2 Timothy 3:16-17) 

  • God has revealed Himself in 3 Persons, the Holy Trinity. (Matthew 28:16-20)

    • God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

    • Each equal in essence and character and always work in harmony           

  • Jesus is God in the flesh, the incarnation. Jesus is complete and full deity, the fullness of the Godhead in bodily form. (Colossians 2:9)

  • The Virgin Birth of Jesus is essential for our salvation. Jesus was born without a sin nature as the perfect Son of God and complete humanity to be the Lamb of God without spot or blemish. He alone can take away our sins. (Luke 1:26-38)

  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ is that Christ died for our sins, was buried and raised on the 3rd day. (1 Co. 15:3-5)

  • Salvation is a prerequisite to become a part of God’s Kingdom. Salvation is by grace through faith in both Old and New Testaments. (Genesis 15:6, Ephesians 2:8-9)   

  • The ministry of the Holy Spirit, who indwells believers to quicken, to empower and to divinely enable the believers to know and serve God effectively. (John 14:15-21)

  • The church is the body of Christ through which God has initiated and commissioned for His grace to be experienced and offered to the world through believers in Christ. (Matthew 28)

  • Two major ordinances of the church:

    • Water Baptism for all who embrace Christ as Lord and Savior (Matthew 28:16-20)

    • Holy Communion, to join in special time of fellowship recognizing and remembering Christ’s atoning death and victorious resurrection with the promise of His imminent return. (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

  • The Resurrection unto eternal life for every believer of each dispensation. (1 Co. 15:21-23)

  • A time of personal judgment awaits all humanity, the saved to heaven and rewarded accordingly, the lost or unregenerate to be eternally separated from God in outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

  • The Ministry of Prayer is the most powerful and effective tool we exercise. (Jer. 33:3)  

  • All life is sacred, from conception in the womb until the natural end. (Psalm 139:13-16) 

  • Marriage is between one man and one woman. (Gen. 2:24-25)

  • Gender is set by God at conception and birth and is not to be changed. (Gen. 1:27)

  • Israel has been chosen by God to be His special called out people for all times. (Gen. 12:3)

Vision Statement
To become a multi-generational church.
To exalt God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.  
To build up the church through worship, prayer, fellowship, teaching, and preaching the Word.
To be a witness beyond the walls of our sanctuary through our lives, outreach of faith, and loving action.

Church History 

In the summer of 1914, Daniel P. Quann moved to Stafford, Virginia and assembled Sunday school meetings in his home. As the church grew, it moved to a one-room schoolhouse located in the Argyle Heights subdivision in a grove of holly trees, hence the origination of the Hollywood Church of the Brethren name. C.H. Steerman preached the first sermon. In less than a year the small congregation grew out of the one-room schoolhouse and services were moved into an outdoor arbor in a field on the Quann farm, which is now Briarwood Estates.

In 1917, Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Sullivan donated a tract of land on State Rd 604, which is now McCarty Road. The entire church congregation, along with some local volunteers, pulled together and began to work, with donated logs, building their new church and planting holly trees. The church was completed on Christmas Day, 1918 and consisted of one room and two outhouses, two wood stoves, kerosine lamps, and hand cut pews passed down from Tabernacle Methodist Church to New Hope United Methodist Church and then to Hollywood Church of the Brethren.
In November 1978, church members decided to build a new church building on land donated by Frank and Evelyn Jett. An inspector said that it would take a miracle for the land to perk. Evelyn Jett said “If the Lord wants us to build a church, the land will perk.” And a miracle happened . . . a favorable spot was found for the drain field and construction began. On Easter Sunday, April 19, 1981, the first church service was held.
Rev. Rick Ritchie became our Senior Pastor in 1986 and is currently serving the Lord, the church, and our community with his love for God and Jesus Christ. In 2003, the Pastor and Secretary office, along with additional classrooms were added; and in 2006, construction began to add a Fellowship Hall, our “KOINONIA” room, along with several other classrooms, including a comfortable meeting area for small group meetings, our VINEYARD Room, and additional parking was also added as well.